LOCAL HIKES AND NATURE WALKS
Franklin Canyon Hike
The Santa Monica Mountains rise above Los Angeles, widen to meet the curve of Santa Monica Bay, and reach their highest peaks facing the ocean, forming a beautiful and multi-faceted landscape. Located in a Mediterranean ecosystem, the Santa Monica Mountains National Recreation Area contains a wide variety of plants and wildlife.
For a short but pretty hike in Beverly Glen, take Scenario Lane off N. Beverly Glen Place to the top (steep) or Selkirk Lane. This overlooks Stone Canyon Reservoir and was once the site of George Harrison’s house, until the earth gave ‘way underneath the stone slab. Luckily, George wasn’t home at the time.
NOTE: When hiking past Glen homes, please respect your neighbors and keep quiet. Thank you.
Links to more hikes in the area:
- Los Angeles, Orange and Riverside County hikes
- Hiking and Biking in Los Angeles
- Hiking in the Santa Monica Mountains
Other Local Nature Walks and Information
- List of local hiking opportunities
- Tree People
- Santa Monica Mountains Conservancy
- Mountains Recreation and Conservation Authority
- The MRCA information site
- Los Angeles Recreation & Parks
- Los Angeles County Beach Information
- Sierra Club Home Page
- National Audubon Society
- The Nature Conservancy